Tuesday, February 1, 2011

DIY... From the Hardware Store!

A few weekends ago the boy toy and I were at Home Depot picking up a few things for some diys around the house. When I was walking around I realized what a mecca that place was for projects for my own diys! I went back the next day (because lets be honest the boy toy does not have the patience to wait for me while I shop... even if it is in Home Depot!). I seriously picked out about 50+ washers, nuts and copper tubes for under $8 - seriously you can get these things for just pennies - way cheaper than materials at a bead or craft store and in my opinion just as cute!

I wasn't exactly sure what I felt like making... I spray painted about half of my materials gold, because we all know I am obsessed with ghetto gold! I left them in the garage for about a week and forgot about them until I came across this fabulous post on I Spy DIY - seriously was she reading my mind??

Materials - metallic spray paint in gold, washers, satin ribbon (wasn't sure if I was going to use lace), scissors and a lighter
Spray painting the washers and nuts a beautiful ghetto gold!
The tutorial via The Small Object is super simple to follow along with... promise!
I decided to switch it up and mix metals, gold and and silver...
Finished product! I tied the ends of the ribbon and used the lighter to singe the edges to keep them from fraying. I didn't go for the choker like the original tutorial as I wanted the necklace to drape with the excess ribbon...
Me likey! Especially the gold and silver combo! I will probably try it next with the black lace to add a bit more glitz and glam!

I am definitely going to make the rope necklace with the remaining bolts that I spray painted gold!

Sources:
here and here

18 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I am definitely going to have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow - who'd have thought?! That's super cute and chic. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great diy ! you should put your stuff on etsy



    stop by sometime<3
    http://passportglamour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! Thanks for the sweet comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that came out so well! what a creative necklace!

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I love this! I saw a washer necklace on another blog (via I Spy DIY,) and wanted to make. Spraying the washers makes them even more super fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there!
    What a great idea! I need to check out that blog. I read about it in InStyle and she has some really great ideas. I'm just not that great when it comes to following directions!

    --Ashley
    araeofstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you kidding me right now?! This is FANTASTIC! I am so impressed. Excellent job! xoxo, Annemarie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow...you are like McGyver but for the fashion world!! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay seriously?? I love it!! You found inspiration at Home Depot?? I'm usually passed out in the aisles. This is gorge!

    xo,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute! I love it! You are just so creative.

    Rachael

    p.s. Be sure to enter in my current giveaway when you get the chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh em gee...I'm obsessed! I know where I'm headed this weekend! Who knew the depot was a Mecca for fashionistas?! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, this is such a cleverly crafty idea! I could totally see a necklace like this being sold in J. Crew or something.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. Amazing DIY ;) loving all this inspiration. 2. I can't wait to see the rope necklace!
    ~Giselle
    http://www.machinewashwarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. absolutely IMPRESSED! love the color choices and wouldn't have ever guessed it was DIY. great job, my dear! xoxo {av}

    ReplyDelete
  16. you never cease to amaze me - another marvelous necklace creation!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea!!! thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete