Wednesday, February 2, 2011

DIY... Dollar Store Rope Necklace!

I think it is safe to say that the whole blogging world remembers Dollar Store Crafts diy post last December that involved a couple jump ropes, copper (we will call them rose gold) tubes, caps and magnets. Well I went straight out to the Dollar Tree and picked up my materials but never got around to finishing the project since I had so much going on around the holidays... well I decided those jump ropes had been storing dust long enough and decided today was the day for my nautical necklace to be born...

Materials... two jump ropes (I chose a vibrant purple which the pic doesn't do it justice) from Dollar Tree (obvi $1 each), two copper tubes and caps (65 cents each at Home Depot), two magnets (a pack of 10 for $1.90 at Home Depot), scissors, lighter and hot glue gun

For the tutorial on how to tie a lanyard knot go here... it took me a couple times to figure it out... I was a little slow today... but Samantha has a video posted on the left hand side of the page that takes you step by step...
The chain is completed... I just went until I got to the end of my shorter ropes
Close up of my proud lanyard knot chain (yep I feel like I belong on a boat)
And VOILA!
I am ready for spring and all of the lovely nautical stripes!



Now that I have the hang of the knots... I will be creating many more rope necklaces for my friends to sport in the spring!

** I will probably use jewelry findings on my next rope necklace because the necklace is a bit too heavy to be held by two little magnets. It does connect... but doesn't feel very secure...


source: here and here and here

24 comments:

  1. Um, amazing!!! Seriously, you are the next Martha Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg this is too cool!! I am loving all your DIYs! It is seriously making me want to make some cool jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow i am impressed, you did such a great job!! i love the nautical theme too, so excited for spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know about that other post (must've been under a rock eating a chocolate or 20. figures).

    Anyway you need to know you have a gift with this stuff. You did a great job!

    xo,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh - that is UNREAL!! I LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are seriously the DIY queen...no joke! Love it girl....xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I am so impressed! I was skeptical when I spotted the skipping ropes but this is fabulous! What a talent, thank you for sharing
    xo Cara

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is SO cool! And how do I not even know about Dollar Store Crafts?? What a fun website. Your necklace looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe my eyes. You're telling me that the necklace came from skipping ropes?! Looks so great. I like how you've made a lanyard knot with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously. You are blowing my mind with this stuff! I can't believe that's a jump rope. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great DIY! Love it! The knot seems pretty difficult, but I might have to try this!

    http://gorjessfashionforless.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah-mazing!!! Great creativity ;)
    ~Giselle
    http://www.machinewashwarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow! That is awesome and so creative!! I would never have ever ever ever thought to make necklace out of jump rope!!

    XO, Katie
    Running on Happiness

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, this is so creative!:D

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh wow - i had never seen this before! amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thats so super great!!
    i am so glad you stopped by today...
    thanks for the b-day wishes.

    i LOVE your blog
    am following,too!!!
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, your necklace looks great! I'm so glad you enjoyed the tutorial. (The knots were a bit of a trick until you figure it out.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. omg that's so awesome! I need to find jump robes and try this!!!!
    GENIUS :D


    xoxo
    Aline

    http://alienslabyrinth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this! You are so crafty, my dear!

    --Ashley
    araeofstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks awesome! I love nautical stuff! Thanks for your sweet intro paragraph. Isn't samantha awesome??

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness that is so awesome.I'm going to do this for sure.My son does survival bracelets that use up like 6'of rope so I bet he can help me.Thanks for sharing this!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete