Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What's Old Is New Again...

Here I am the night of the spill... unfortunately I don't have an image of the whole dress - but you get the idea of the original color :-)
Dye, salt and steaming water is all I needed...
And the final product - pic doesn't do the purple color justice...


So a few years ago - on an infamous girls weekend to NYC I somehow ruined one of my favorite dresses (the perfect red Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent dress!)... okay - so I guess it wasn't 'somehow' - more like I spilt a cocktail on it... and being as it was 100% silk it was quickly ruined... It was the first time I had worn it so I did everything to try and revive it when I got home... took it to the dry-cleaners multiple times with no avail. I threw it in the back of the closet... thinking one day I will attempt to dye it. Well - that 'one day' happened to be today! I went to Michael's and picked out a fabric dye - trust me this was a difficult choice - I really wanted a fun, vibrant color that equalled the pizazz of the red; however, I figured that I should probably go with a darker shade to better mask the dark stain. Well... after an hour of stirring my beloved dress in the sink I think this dress may have a couple more wears in it!

The downfalls I have to report is that for some reason the thread didn't dye - it is still red... but to tell you the truth I don't really mind... sort of like the look of the contrast. Also it didn't completely mask the stain but it is definitely way less noticeable - and definitely wearable.

4 comments:

  1. What a great way to revamp a dress! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it turned out great! I ruin things constantly, so I understand that sadness that accompanies the loss of a good dress, ha ha! I have never thought to dye things though - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, I should try doing that one time!:D

    http://allthingsmarie.blogspot.com/
    Beauty. Fashion. Interior Design.
    & Life According to Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great idea...I have plenty of stained clothes hanging out in the back of my closet just waiting to be dyed!

    ReplyDelete